The 28 room hotel is modeled after the 19th century home of William Mills (1814-1879), a local settler who first came to Yellow Springs in 1827 with his father Elisha after purchasing several hundred acres of land. Mills’ intention was to build the finest resort destination in Ohio while also financing the railroad through Yellow Springs and helping to build the town’s infrastructure. The original railroad station is still standing only a few hundred yards from the hotel.
The home he built was erected in 1842 after Mills’ father deeded him the land. The house was constructed on former swampland which would often see water depth up to three feet.
The original house had only two stories with a third being added by the Means family after they purchased the property. In addition, the Means added the mansard roof and tower, both of which are emulated on Mills Park Hotel. An ornate fence and elaborately gingerbreaded gates arched over the entrances to the lawn surrounding the property. The lawn, with gardens filled with lush flowers and fruits, was always open to college students and was a frequent gathering place for community events.
In 1921 the president of Antioch Academy moved the school into the Mills House, while adding an elementary program to their courses, now making it Antioch School. In 1951 Antioch then turned over the property to the local school board and it was then used as a community center until it was razed in 1966.
While the hotel is not an exact replica it imitates the mid-to-late 1800’s style of the original three-story Victorian Mills’ home, which is currently the site of Mills Lawn Elementary.
When visiting the property a walk around our hallways will surround you with artwork depicting the history of Yellow Springs and William Mills. In addition, much of the woodwork in the property was crafted from ash trees sourced from the property. Keep your eyes peeled as these trees grew on top of a limestone slab and some of the fixtures feature streaks of mineral deposits. The tables and bar top in Ellie’s, ice chests, luggage carts, coat racks, and wine racks were all crafted from this wood. The cherry and walnut wood found in the property, including the front desk and the elevator, was sourced from the original property or the Yellow Springs area.
Mills Park Hotel is a pet free facility, please make boarding arrangements prior to arrival. Additionally, we are a smoke-free facility and do not allow smoking inside the hotel, on balcony or front porch areas.